Each address is permitted two (2) sales each year, lasting as long as three (3) consecutive days.
Call the clerk-treasurer’s office at 574-773-2112 for more information about obtaining a permit for your sale. If your sale will create traffic issues or require a street closing, permission may be needed from the Nappanee Board of Works and Safety.
Yes, a fee of $5 must be paid at the clerk-treasurer’s office in City Hall prior to the beginning of the sale.
As per the new guidelines for trash collection, two (2) odd trash items will be picked up free of charge each month. These items will need to be prescheduled with Borden by calling 1-800-386-3313.
Household hazardous waste, including paint cans and oil-based products, may be taken on the first Saturday of each month (8:00am-3:00pm) to the rear of the Elkhart County Corrections Complex, 26861 CR 26, Elkhart. The Elkhart County Solid Waste Management District organizes these collection days; call 574-293-2269 for more information.
Recyclables, such as plastic bottles, cardboard and newspapers, may be taken to the City’s recycling collection point north of Martin’s Super Market off of Oakland Avenue (CR 7). Rechargeable or nickel-cadmium batteries may be dropped off at City Hall for recycling. Customers may also arrange curb side pickup with Borden at their own expense by calling 1-800-386-3313.
The Nappanee Street Department will collect these items regularly. Brush is taken on Mondays, weather permitting and when left at the curb; the pile should be small enough for one person to handle. Leaf collection is done seasonally.
Please call the clerk-treasurer’s office right away at 574-773-2112. The pickup schedule on non-holiday weeks will be:
- Wednesdays – West of SR 19, North of US 6 and all areas South of US 6
- Fridays – East of SR 19, North of US 6
- For more information click here
Please call in the locations to City Hall at 574-773-2112 during business hours or the emergency services dispatch center at 574-773-8400 on nights and weekends. If a power line is down, please call the emergency NIPSCO line at 1-800-464-7726.
Blocked or broken lines with backup issues can be called into the Nappanee utilities office at 574-773-4623 during business hours or the emergency services dispatch center at 574-773-8400 on nights and weekends. Please check the utilities department page for more information.
Emergencies and critical issues needing immediate attention should be phoned into the emergency services dispatch center at 911. Routine issues or problems not requiring emergency response may be called in at 574-773-8400. The Nappanee Police Department accepts questions and tips as well. You can also visit our Report… page to fill out an online form.
Nappanee’s outdoor warning system is tested every Thursday at 2:00pm. Additionally, a test will be conducted each March during Severe Weather Awareness Week, and notice will be posted to the media and on the City’s Facebook page.
- In the event of a weather emergency, the following locations will be open as shelters. During a tornado warning, take shelter immediately. Develop a plan to get your family to safety during critical times. For more information on tornado preparedness visit the EMS page.
- Nappanee United Methodist Church, 301 E. Market Street
- North Main Mennonite Church, 545 N. Main Street
- Nappanee Church of the Brethren, 301 Mack Drive
- Healing Hearts Community Church, 655 S. Main Street
- First Mennonite Church, 900 W. Market Street
- Living Gospel Church, 302 W. Market Street
- The National Weather Service – Indiana has designated March 19th-25th as Severe Weather Preparedness Week. A statewide tornado drill will be conducted March 21st at approx. 10:10am and again at approx. 7:35pm. The City of Nappanee will participate in these drills. The tornado sirens will be activated at these times. We encourage citizens to please take some time to prepare your homes and families for the upcoming thunderstorm and tornado season.
- All city residents registered to vote may cast a ballot for mayor, clerk-treasurer, judge and the council at-large position. Additionally, registered city voters also choose a district council representative; the city is divided into four districts – click Council District Map for more information.
- For county elected offices, please visit the Elkhart County government website.
- Beginning with the 2012 election, Nappanee will be served by Indiana’s Second Congressional District on the federal level and by House District 22 indianasenatedemocrats.org and Senate District 9 in state government.
Elkhart County has 25 voting centers throughout the county. Nappanee’s center is located at the First Brethren Church, 1600 N. Main Street. Please call the county’s election supervisor at 574-535-6469 to inquire about absentee or early voting. The county’s voter registration office at 574-535-6774, can answer specific questions about where to vote.
- City government will observe the following holidays in 2019. On these days, City Hall will be closed and issues needing immediate response, such as sewer backups and water leaks, should be reported to the emergency services dispatch center at 574-773-8400.
- Holiday Schedule 2019:
January 1st: New Year’s Day
January 21st: Martin Luther King Day
February 18th: President’s Day
April 19th: Good Friday
May 27th: Memorial Day
July 4th: Independence Day
September 2nd: Labor Day
November 11th: Veteran’s Day
November 28th-29th: Thanksgiving
December 24th: Christmas Eve PM
December 25th: Christmas
December 31st: New Year’s Eve PM
Please call City Hall at 574-773-2112 to report a problem or visit Report… and click street light outage and this will direct you to the NIPSCO website. From there you will need to zoom in on Nappanee and what street the light is out on.
Please be sure to have the pole number or the nearest physical address for the light that is out. You can also call NIPSCO directly at 1-800-464-7726
Residents may visit City Hall to pay on water and sewer bills, as well as city permits. The city does not collect property taxes – landowners should contact the Elkhart County Treasurer’s office 574-535-6759, for more information and payment locations.
*please note online bill paying is coming soon
Yes, Nappanee city government strongly endorses Indiana’s Open-Door Law. During many meetings, public comment is taken on any issue; Plan Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals have guidelines for accepting comments at public hearings on specific land-use requests.
- The Nappanee Municipal Building is located at 300 W. Lincoln Street. The Fire Department is in an adjoining building, and the Police Department and EMS stations are located across the street at 301 W. Lincoln Street.
- City Hall: 574-773-2112; Police: 574-773-8400; EMS: 574-773-5658; Fire: 574-773-4000
City Hall is open from 8:00am-4:00pm weekdays. At times, the building will be open after those hours for public meetings of the city council, plan commission and other boards. Please see the community calendar for a list of events at city hall and around Nappanee.