- The state of Indiana requires residents wishing to obtain a handgun permit to apply through the police department with primary jurisdiction. On October 1, 2014, the process was changed.
- The state requires applicants to begin the process with an online form. (The applicant must have a valid email address and credit/debit card to begin the process).
- After submitting the application, residents must visit a location with the ability to submit digital fingerprints to the state of Indiana. In Elkhart County, that location is Bashor Children’s Home, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, 574-875-5117; advance appointment is necessary.
- After filling the application online, paying all state fees and charges, and acquiring a receipt for fingerprints, applicants residing in the city of Nappanee must visit the Nappanee Police Department to compete the process. Applicants must bring photo identification, fingerprint receipt and the local fee of $50 in cash or money order made out to “City of Nappanee.”
- Generally, successful applicants will receive their permit from the state in about 12 weeks. All inquiries regarding application and permit status should be directed to the Indiana State Police firearms division.